HBL: Rescue Department says "no" to Malmi's hangar

Seppo SipiläNews archive, Other media

På svenska »

The Rescue Department says “no” to the hangar

Hufvudstadsbladet 28 September 2017

Tommy Pohjola
translated by Seppo Sipilä

Photo: Leif Weckström

Not suitable for large gatherings. This is what the Rescue Department said after examining Malmi’s aircraft hangar already in autumn 2016.

The Rescue Department’s statement is one year old, but it comes to daylight only now. According to the association struggling for continued aviation at Malmi, the City has constantly stated that aircraft must leave the hangar as it’s needed for large public gatherings. It’s been an urgent matter too. The aviators’ tenancies were discontinued at the end of August, even though residential construction in the area is to begin in 2019 at the earliest.

According to the Rescue Department, the lack of entrances and exists and dangerous electrical wiring stop the City’s plans. In addition, the floor of the hangar is so uneven that people are in danger or tripping and hurting themselves. Something could possibly be done about the problems if the culturo-historically significant hangar wasn’t under a preservation order.

The Rescue Department’s statement was not included in the decision-making process in the summer, when the officials decided not to extend the tenancies in the hangar. The statement was also missing two weeks ago when the City’s Environmental Committee dismissed two complaints made against the decision on the grounds that the hangar is needed for large public gatherings in which the City is involved as organizer.

Apart from shooting sessions of one TV series, the hangar has not been reserved for events such as concerts or fairs.

When HBL called the City’s officials four weeks ago, nobody could say in what stage the Rescue Department’s inspection and statement were. It had, in fact, been conducted and the statement written – in the autumn of last year.

The Rescue Department’s statement from 2016 became public when Mr. Sampsa Jyrkynen got a reply from the City to his information request a few days ago.

– I’m just a citizen interested in the decision-making process, he says.

What’s going on?

HBL wrote about the twists in the hangar’s tale in April. At City Hall, the person in charge of developing the airport area is Ms. Sirpa Kallio. According to her, there have been problems in internal communication at Malmi, and some people are also spreading alternative information about what has been agreed. Maybe there are communication problems in the City’s government as well, then.

– What can one say about this? Has the Rescue Department’s statement been deliberately left out? wonders Mr. Kauko Koskinen (National Coalition), who in April made a motion about the City continuing the tenancies of the aviators who need the hangar.

Mr. Koskinen first learned of the Rescue Department’s statement on Tuesday. The City’s Real Estate Committee, which hasn’t seen the Rescue Department’s statement either, already found the time to turn down the hangar’s continued aviation use.  The City Council is supposed to discuss Koskinen’s motion in November.

The Chairman of the Friends of Malmi Airport, Mr. Timo Hyvönen, also wonders what the City’s up to.

– It’s news to me that the City has a statement that has not been included in the decision-making process.

Hyvönen wants the matter sorted out, but also hopes that all parties calm down.

– The aircraft hangar is equipped for storing aircraft. The most sensible thing to do is to let this activity continue.

Deputy Mayor Anni Sinnemäki (Green League) is also the Chairperson of the City’s Urban Environment Committee. Contacted by HBL for a comment, Ms. Sinnemäki says that she hasn’t read the statement.

– I do know of it, and the matter is important, of course.

That the document should come into daylight only in the context of an information request is explained by Sinnemäki by the City’s will to promote Malmi’s development. According to the City Council, the area is needed for residential construction. The Parliament is expected to soon take a stand to a citizens’ law initiative to keep the airport active.

 

In English »

Räddningsverket säger nej till hangaren

Hufvudstadsbladet 28.9.2017

Tommy Pohjola

Foto: Leif Weckström

Lämpar sig inte för stora publiktillställningar. Det säger räddningsverket som granskade flyghangaren i Malm redan hösten 2016.

Räddningsverkets utlåtande är ett år gammalt, men blir offentligt först nu. Enligt föreningen som kämpar för fortsatt flygverksamhet i Malm har staden hela tiden sagt att flygplanen ska ut ur hangaren därför att hangaren behövs för stora publiktillställningar. Bråttom har det också varit. Hyreskontrakten med flygarna sades upp i slutet av augusti trots att bostadsbyggandet i området börjar tidigast 2019.

Det är brister i in- och utgångar och farliga elinstallationer som sätter stopp för stadens planer, enligt räddningsverket. Dessutom är golvet i hangaren så ojämnt att folk riskerar att snubbla och slå sig. Problemen skulle kanske gå att åtgärda om inte den kulturhistoriskt värdefulla hangaren skulle omfattas av ett åtgärdsförbud.

Räddningsverkets utlåtande hade inte fogats till beslutshandlingarna när tjänstemännen i somras beslöt att inte förlänga hyreskontrakten för hangaren. Utlåtandet saknades även för två veckor sedan när stadsmiljönämnden avslog två besvär med motiveringen att hangaren behövs för stora publikevenemang som staden är med och arrangerar.

Förutom en teveinspelning har inga tillställningar, exempelvis konserter eller mässor, bokats till flyghangaren.

När HBL ringde tjänstemännen i stadshuset för fyra veckor sedan var det ingen som kunde säga i vilket skede räddningsverkets granskning och utlåtande är. Men granskningen var ju redan gjord och utlåtandet hade skrivits – på hösten föregående år.

Räddningsverkets utlåtande från 2016 blev offentligt när Sampsa Jyrkynen för några dagar sedan fick svar på sin informationsbegäran till staden.

– Jag är bara en stadsbo som är intresserad av beslutsprocessen, säger han.

Vad är det som pågår?

HBL skrev om hangartvisten i april. Vid stadshuset är det Sirpa Kallio som ansvarar för flygplatsområdets utveckling. Hon sade att det har varit problem med den interna informationsgången på Malm och att det också finns de som sprider alternativ information om vad som avtalats. Kanske informationsfnurrorna sedan också är i stadens förvaltning.

– Vad ska man säga? Har räddningsverkets utlåtande avsiktligt lämnats bort? undrar Kauko Koskinen (Saml) som i april gjorde en motion om att staden förlänger hyreskontrakten med flygarna som behöver hangaren.

Kauko Koskinen fick veta om räddningsverkets utlåtande på tisdagen. Fastighetsnämnden, som inte heller sett räddningsverkets utlåtande, har redan hunnit ge avslag. Stadsfullmäktige torde diskutera Koskinens motion i november.

Också stödföreningen Malmin lentoaseman ystäväts ordförande Timo Hyvönen undrar vad det är som pågår vid staden.

– Det är en nyhet för mig att det finns ett utlåtande som staden har, och som inte har fogats till beslutshandlingarna.

Hyvönen vill att saken utreds, men önskar också att alla parter lugnar sig.

– En flyghangar är avsedd för förvaring av flygplan. Det förnuftigaste är att verksamheten får fortsätta.

Biträdande borgmästare Anni Sinnemäki (Grön) är också ordförande i stadsmiljönämnden. När HBL når henne för en kommentar säger Sinnemäki att hon inte har läst utlåtandet.

– Jag känner nog till det och det är förstås viktigt.

Att dokumentet dyker upp först i samband med en informationsbegäran förklarar Sinnemäki med stadens vilja att driva på utvecklingen i Malm. Enligt stadsfullmäktige behövs området för bostäder. Riksdagen förväntas snart ta ställning till ett medborgarinitiativ för bevarandet av flygplatsen.